Getting links from another site
to your own is one of the biggest ranking factors for teh search engines.
You can obtain links from many sources and will depend upon your business. Links are like votes for your website so the more links you get the more votes for your site
. Not all links hold the same weight. For example a link from a main page on a university website may be worth 50 directory links.
Try to vary the sources as much as possible and use your business contacts.
The following should give you some ideas of sources.
1. Directories - Ideally industry specific, don't sign up for too many, select the best you can
2. Business sources - Customers, business partners, associations, suppliers etc.
3. Create content - Publish contnet on your industy, link it to your site
and encourage others to do the same.
4. Social Networking - Build an online community around your business subject.
5. Competition - Find out whose linking to the competition and see if they will link to you too
6. Paid links - Use sparingly and only when they hold real value
7. Affiliate - Spread the word and get links, but do your research first
We hope this is helpful,